Friday, November 11, 2005

Like Sheep To The Slaughter

Would your children know how to save themselves in a school shooting? I'm not even sure I like the idea of having to teach this to a young person. I try to teach trust, honesty, confidence and following the rules yet to prepare a child to deal with such a situation we have to teach them insecurity (look over your shoulder), awareness (not a bad thing but in this context we are teaching suspicion), lack of trust, conspiracy and fear.

In college I pranced across the lawn at UT and looked at my surroundings and thought, "wow, if a snipper were in that tower or atop any of those buildings I could die right now." But I chose to embrace my moment and enjoy life rather than rush from bush to bush and shadow to shadow trying to evade the imaginary killer. Is a child capable of such a decision?