Monday, July 19, 2004

Eight But Not For Long

I am eight and act brain-dead but am alive
No drugs in this body but perpetually glazed over eyes
You are not talking about Yu-gi-oh, Playstation or Teen Titans
So your words are foreign and frightening
How dare you imply that I might do something outside!

I am innocent and working hard to change
I have grown up nice but some things must be re-arranged
How can I truly understand by which values I will stand
If I have not experienced them firsthand?

My brother and father have taught me to curse
Perhaps that's the sin I will try on first
Already I am willing to stand my ground
I won't do what the kids and my brother say
Even if they push me around
Time to have things my own way
You don't have to call me by my name
From here on out just call me Burger King!

I am sweet and nice and try to do everything right
Still people get mad at me and sometimes they scream
It blackens my heart and tears my soul apart
Why don't they say "thank you" and teach me right?
I know, although I've been told I still mess up
Give me a second chance, a third, a twentith! I can learn!
I live to please you. I am too young to understand
That whether your are eight or thirty-five
We are all fallible because regardless of age
We are simply man.