Tuesday, January 18, 2005

VDD

My wife points out the Knoxnews article on Vacation Deficit Disorder ( )
Americans take just 10 vacation days a year. ... Europeans ... take five to eight weeks of vacation time annually. ... Japanese, who exhibit similar workaholic tendencies to Americans, get away from the office about 18 days a year.

I want to move to Europe!
... Nine nights is the ideal vacation length ... Vacation Deficit Disorder is killing us. Medical studies point to more instances of irritability, insomnia, hypertension and heart disease among those who have too little playtime. The bottom line: vacations make us live longer. That's the best reason to go away and have fun.
I have had one vacation that I can think of since 1997. That was a week at Disney World where everyone, including Cathy, expected me to propose to Cathy. Prior to reading this I had actually made a commitment to myself that I am going to budget for vacations. My kids need the experience of travel. The other day Noah was in a conversation and vacations came up he matter-of-factly blurted out "we don't take vacations." That made me sad.